Monday, December 31, 2012

Being Thankful. . . Looking back.

As I sit in the coffee shop in Lake Leelanau, MI wrapping up some work on the last day of the year, I can't help but reflect back on what a great year it has been overall.  Were there challenges?  Sure.  Were there certain disappointments at time either professionally or personally?  Yes.  But, I choose to focus on the positives.  I choose to focus on what went well instead of what didn't.  Life is full of ups and downs, but overall it is our choice as to what we focus on and I choose to focus on all the great things.  Here are just a few things that I have to be thankful for:

  1. At the top of the list has to be the adoption of our son, Colten.  The situation came out of tragedy for the family, but has truly been a blessing.  God works in mysterious ways and I love this little guy more than I could have ever imagined possible.  He is pure joy.  
  2. The love of my little girl.  She grows up more and more every day, but I feel so fortunate that she loves me.  This year was her First Confession and I was so proud of how her faith and understanding of God has grown.   
  3. My wife, who has been such a great mother to both of our kids.  I could not do what she does, and I love her for the love that she has given this family.  She is much more patient than I, and I could never do all of this without her.  She is a good partner in life.  
  4. A family, both mine and my wife's, that has been a part of our life and many changes we've enjoyed this year.  
  5. A good job.  In this time when our economy is still struggling, I'm fortunate and thankful to have a career that allows me to provide for my family. 
  6. Friends who are there no matter what.  
  7. Last, but most important, my faith.  This has been such an important year for me in my faith.  As I participated in Abby's First Reconciliation preparation, I found my faith growing again.  I got closer to God and the Church, and it has been such an important part of my life.  I pray more, I think about how God would want me to live my life, and truly feel I have grown spiritually over the last several months.  I am more open than I ever have been to God's hand in my life, and I am grateful to God for all the blessings He has bestowed on me and my family.  
I am looking forward to a great 2013, and leave 2012 behind with no regrets.  Dear Lord, I thank you for many blessings, and ask that I may be open to your guidance in the coming year and follow the plan you have for me.  I ask this through Christ our Lord, Amen.  

Happy New Year everyone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment