Thursday, January 17, 2013

Catching up, checking-in, and the power of prayer

It's been a hectic couple of weeks to start the year.  First there was the family vacation to Michigan, then we all came down with the flu, I was in Vegas last week for the annual Consumer Electronics Show, and work has been just crazy.  So, therein lies the reason why I haven't had time to blog lately -- well, that and the fact that I simply didn't have anything specific to blog about. 

During these crazy weeks, I went through a short stint where I didn't get to go to morning Mass as much as I'd like and where I fell out of the prayer routine I adopted last fall.  I can honestly say that a part of me felt empty -- like something was missing every day.  At first I didn't realize why, I was getting stressed out, angry and upset over silly things with the family, and then I caught myself.  I realized that I had inadvertently and unintentionally started distancing myself from God for no good reason.  Yes, I had reasons, but there was no excuse.  One can always make time to pray.  Prayer can be something as simple as the Jesus Prayer ("Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner) or lying in bed and having a conversation with God.  Ask yourself, what is preventing me from taking 15-30 minutes a day to spend time with God?  What is more important than this??  Really? 

So, I got my act together. Last Saturday, upon returning from Vegas, I went to Confession, I restarted my daily prayer routine (Morning, Evening, and Night Prayer from the Liturgy of the Hours along with other less formal praying), and have made it back to daily Mass a couple of times (work is still hectic keeping me from going every day).  How do I feel?  MUCH better.  I feel comforted, more relaxed, I don't get as upset and stressed out as easy at work or home, and simply feel like I'm a better person.  Prayer will do that for you.  If you ask for God's help, God's love, God's direction in your life, he will be there.  God always hears our prayers.  Sometimes, He doesn't answer with what we want, but always hears our prayers.

Remember, if you feel lonely, down, or upset, you always have someone to listen.  Just pray. 

God Bless you all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment