Monday, September 24, 2012

Where to begin?

I have decided to start a new blog that helps me track my spiritual journey.  This is a journey not just about my relationship with God, but also about my relationship with my family -- as a father and husband.  I just finished a book my Matthew Kelly titled Rediscovering Catholocism, and it has inspired me to find a way to become the "best version of myself."  I encourage anyone who might see this blog, regardless of whether you are Catholic or not, to read this book.  In so doing, it has helped me to reflect on my life and what's most important -- God and family.  I believe that I can only become the best version of myself if I deepen my faith and improve my relationship with the Church and those around me. 

As a first step, I have made a personal commitment to be more engaged with God and at Church.  It all starts with a commitment to prayer daily -- a habit I'm working to make stronger.  I went to confession for the first time in many years a week or so ago.  I can't describe how good it felt to talk openly to a priest and then to God afterwards asking forgiveness for my sins.  I intend to go more often.  Additionally, I have volunteered more at Church.  I just joined the high school youth group core team to hopefully assist our young adults as they explore their own relationship with God.  I have agreed to serve on our Family Room Fund committee to solicit donations for the expansion of our facilities -- leveraging my experience in communication and sales for the good of the Church and our community.  And, finally, I am trying to be as active as possible in supporting my daughter as she goes through preparation for First Reconciliation and First Communion by teaching her about prayer and faith. 

Outside of working to engage more with God and Church, I wish to grow closer with my wife and children.  I want to be the best husband and father possible, and I know I can be better, more patient, and more loving than I am today.  They need me, and I want to be there for all of them.  I am praying more that I may follow the path that God has put in front of me, that I may listen to his wishes, and have the courage to do what is necessary. 

This is not going to be easy.  I am just a regular person trying to live a good, Catholic life and do what is right by God, but I believe that change has to start somewhere.  We can't look around and expect things to change unless we are willing to change ourselves.  As a society and people, many of us have strayed too far from God, and it is time to return "home."  I hope that as I make my personal journey and share my struggles and successes that it will inspire others to do the same.  

God Bless you all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment