Thursday, October 18, 2012

Comfort from Sacred Scripture

This is going to be a short post with a simple message -- spend some time reading Sacred Scripture, the Bible.  I have mentioned that I'm working my way through the New Testament, and I've tried to read some every day.  Some days I read several pages and chapters in a Gospel, and others I read just one short section.  But, what I've found is that on the days where I need it the most, God speaks to me through what I read.  I may be thinking about a difficulty I had at work or in my personal life, and it is truly amazing how on those days I run across a certain passage that gives me comfort.  It may be a passage of love or it may be a passage that speaks almost directly to what I was struggling with on that day.  But, one thing is for sure, I almost always find comfort. 

Some people express disappointment that God never "talks to them" or "gives them a sign" that he is listening.  But, God always hears our prayers.  We just don't always hear him or want to hear what he has to say.  We don't open our ears and eyes in a way that opens our hearts to God's revelation.  My experience these last few weeks in reading Sacred Scripture is a good example of that.  God hasn't spoken to me verbally or given me any visible signs of his presence, but he has spoken to me through the words of the writers of the Gospels and through the words of his Son Jesus Christ.

Don't make an excuse.  Make time for God.  We can all find five minutes, 10 minutes, or 15 minutes a day to spend with him in prayer and meditation.  A good way of spending time is by reading the Bible.  You will be glad that you did. 

God Bless.   

No comments:

Post a Comment