Saturday, October 6, 2012

Confession. . . the feeling afterwards

I will save a post for a later date that discusses the theological basis for going to Confession, but for now whoever reads this will have to trust me that it exists (because it does).  But, this isn't about the theology, this about the feeling afterwards. 

I woke up this morning aroud 7 a.m.  My wife and two kids were already awake.  We meandered around the house, I went to McDonald's to get Abby pancakes and me a couple of biscuits and a coffee, and then we all started cleaning up around Colten's first nap.  I looked at the clock and realized that Confession started at 9:30 on Saturdays, it was already 9:45, and I wanted to go.  I huried and got cleaned up and threw on my clothes, and I told my wife I was going to run to Church and do Confession.  She looked at my a little sideways since I'd just went a few weeks ago (which was the first time in years), and she said, "What do you have to confess?"  I simply told her that everybody sins, and I, for example, used the Lord's name in vain a few times, I got angry at others, I was impatient, and a few other things. 

I went to Church into the Blessed Chapel where the confessionals are located, said a prayer beforehand, re-examined my conscious, and entered the Confessional to sit face-to-face with the priest.  I can honestly say that in the little room, as I sat across from the priest, I felt like I was confessing my sins to not just the priest, but that Jesus Christ himself was listening.  I expressed sorrow and I received my penance.  I left and went back to the Chapel to pray and do my penance and was home before Colten even woke up from his nap. 

I have felt great all day.  I didn't have any mortal sins to confess -- just venial sins.  But, to be forgiven by Jesus Christ through his priest cannot be described.  Yes, we all can ask forgiveness outside of Church, and should do every day, but it's just not the same (which even Bible teaching supports) and going back to Confession has reminded me of that.  I feel like a different person when I'm finished.  I feel like a better person.  If you are Catholic and haven't been to Confession in many years, then I'd encourage you to take the plunge and go back.  Put your heart and soul into it.  Tell the priest everything.  You'll feel better for doing it.  And, if you aren't Catholic, this is one more reason to consider the Faith.  Trust me, it is life-changing. 

God Bless you all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment